CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Weight Loss Statement

It has now been 17 months and change since I quit smoking. I had a pack a day habit for nearly 30 years. With the help of Zyban and having met a new person who was a non-smoker (later to become my wife) I finally kicked the habit.

In the absence of smoking, I did something I never thought I would do ... gained weight. I was formerly a long distance runner ... I once ran the mile in under 4:30. Heck, I weighed 127 pounds my senior year in high school and didn't break the 150 barrier until my twenties.

I now weigh 233 pounds. There was a time I would have rejoiced at that. Trust me, nobody pushes around anyone who weighs 233 pounds, unless of course they weigh more and are belligerent. In any case, the ache on my knees and feet has become intolerable. My body is simply not used to carrying this much weight.

James, at Wigderson Library and Pub, might not recognize me now. He probably remembers the relatively svelte guy he regularly harassed (kidding) at UWM. Of course the hair is gone now as well. Used to have it fairly long.

Anyway, that aside, the time has come to seriously take some action. I will be blogging regularly about losing this weight, in addiiton to my other rants. My goal is to get to 175 pounds. My mission statement is:

I am in the weight loss business. I intend to lose all the weight I gained
after I quit smoking and to lose an additional 15 pounds to reach my ultimate
goal of 175 pounds.

Wish me luck.

0 Swings of the bat: